PearsofWhat????

This is my space, sometimes it may be funny, sometimes it might be sad, sometimes you might wonder just what planet I'm from, but it will always be honest and it will always be me. Come on in and sit with me a while.

Sunday, May 15, 2005

The 'Deck'

We are finally going to build the deck that I've been wanting since we moved in 3 1/2 years ago. Woohoo!! Y'all have no idea how this excites me. We live in a relatively new neighborhood, smallish yards, lots of the 'same' going on. The deck would be my way of adding my own 'something' to all of the 'same' going on around here. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to paint it bright orange with pink polka dots ( although I DO think that would be fun). I just want a place to go to hang out where I can look at the pond across the road, curl up in my swing with a good book or the BaldMan (wink wink, nudge nudge), play with my MollieMae, and have a cocktail or three with my girls .

Little did I know at the start of this adventure what a long drawn out ordeal it was going to be. First, the BaldMan and I had to decide on size. Well, as you know men and women often disagree on size. Eight inches can sometimes look an awful lot like five, ya know? (Speaking of that...Why do men people tell women people about sizes? Do they think we will just be so in awe of them and so distracted that we won't notice the three inch difference??? Do they think we will love them more, the longer they are? Do they not realize it's what they do with what they have that gets things rockin'?) Anywho, I went off on a tangent - so sorry. Once we agreed on the size, the next thing was the shape. I just wanted a simple deck. Like I said, someplace to go to relax and have a cocktail or twelve. The BaldMan wanted to get ambitious. He wanted to have it 'curve' around the side of the house. I just wanted a plain, simple deck. Nothing fancy for this girl - I'm good with plain and simple as far as my decks go. The BaldMan tried to convince me that a 'little curve' wouldn't hurt anything. I remain unconvinced. Plain, simple, straightforward is the way to go. Then we got on the subject of materials. Should we use the vinyl composite material which is supposed to be more durable, and last longer and comes in several not found in nature colors or should we go with the more traditional wood? The BaldMan thought the vinyl would be a good choice as it was long lasting and durable. I, on the other hand voted for wood. I mean, you just can't go wrong with wood. It's what people have been using for years. It's just as durable if taken proper care of. It's just as long lasting if you know what you're doing. Then we started talking about the landscaping around the deck. I again voted for something simple. I wanted to keep the grass and the bushes around the deck neatly trimmed and short. He, on the other hand wanted something wild and free form going on back there. His position was "it's my yard, I can keep it how I want it". My position on that was " I have to look at it, I'd like it to look nice - I mean you CAN see it from the road." Needless to say, we haven't made much headway on that issue.
I see a nice, sturdy, simply shaped, well taken care of wood deck in my future. It's gonna be a good summer.

4 Comments:

  • At Sunday, May 15, 2005, Blogger MamaChef said…

    You da boss Pears!!!! Just twist his arm a lil, just enough that he'll figure out who's who and what's what!

     
  • At Tuesday, May 17, 2005, Blogger Tasty said…

    And I'll make the Mambo Margaritas.

     
  • At Wednesday, May 18, 2005, Blogger *L'ola said…

    i feel a Deck Christening Party in the future!!!! we're supposed to build ours nest spring. i vote for ripping the whole damn thing off and making a big ass patio that doesn't require weatherproofing...but i'm really lazy.

    and i am all for the pink polka dots, for the record. and i adore you, for another record!

     
  • At Thursday, March 15, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it film editing schools

     

Post a Comment

<< Home